Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Portable DVD Players

sure come in handy with a Snow White obsessed toddler on a...
Indeed, we did join our "prince" on his trip to Frankfurt! After a 4 hour drive, the first evening was spent in the car and in McDonald's while Jorg was at his appointments. We were running late and didn't get time to check-in to the hotel. I wondered if we made the right choice to come and tried not to grumble too much, since the reason we are here in the first place is so that he can work. Frankfurt was okay but not near as nice as Munich. I saw many people who just looked...evil in their eyes. Even though Munich is a bigger city, I don't see evil-ish looking people very often. I feel really safe in Munich. If I so much as even drop a glove, someone is chasing me down to give it to me. If I need help lifting the stroller somewhere, there are many hands to help. People smile and greet you with, "Gris Got" which means "God is Good". It's a bavarian thing. I love that. Well, I didn't feel the same in Frankfurt. Jorg agreed. He actually worked in Frankfurt for a year back when he was still single and well, he agreed. While I was wondering around with Rebecca, I saw some missionaries pass by and stopped them. I didn't have much to say to them, except, "where are you from? and how's the work?" but it was so nice to see those two good faces. Other German cities are also very nice, such as Hannover, Bremen, and Kassel. I don't know why Frankfurt is such a bummer.

After Jorg's two successful meetings, it was finally family time. And we drove about 20 minutes out of Frankfurt to the Frankfurt Temple (go figure). It was pretty. Rebecca was excited. It was just great to see the place where my honey first went through the temple and where he went on youth trips.

Align Center
We stayed in a fun hotel back in Frankfurt and the next day, headed home. But we took our time and stopped wherever we wanted! We found an American style outlet mall. It reminded me of the one we visited this summer in California. It was a pretty new place and they were setting up for Christmas. We didn't buy anything. We don't need anything. But it was fun to stroll around and window shop.
Then we stopped in Nuremberg. Jorg had never stopped there. We thought it would be great, but we weren't prepared for how awesome it really was! We just "had" to stop and go through the castle. Rebecca kept asking where the princess was. She has been in 2 castles and 1 palace now, and the poor one has yet to see her a real princess. We try to explain, but really...how do you explain that one to a 2 year old? "They don't really exist anymore, honey." "Huh, what?" Just too sad. So she was the princess here with the official burger king crown:

We headed into the city and I saw this cute puppet store on a quiet, narrow street. As I looked into the window, I had to think of Gapetto's shop! It was just darling, all of the dolls and trinkets in there. Too bad it was already closed for the day.then we ate some stuff:
and Jorg ate some of the famous Nuremburg sausages. They are small because they used to shove them through key holes when there was a ban on sausage selling. The ban was made so that only the restaurants could sell sausage, at least that's what Jorg said when I asked. There are some places where it looks like Venice, the water flows through the buildings. I didn't get any great pictures, the top right photo is the best I could do.They have a really famous Christmas Market here, and we saw the booths! But it doesn't start until Sunday. So glad we stopped. It was a great weekend and we even made it back for church on Sunday morning this time.
We Like It!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Evil eyes, no good. A sausage ban! That's horrible! Real castles for Becca? What a fun trip! Love you!

Morgan said...

I am absolutely in LOVE with Rebecca's smile. Those cheeks! Those dimples! Love it!